Followers

Friday, March 15, 2013

Markers: Monuments to the dead

Wow where the hell have I been, you may or may not be asking yourself. Well life has, as they often say, gotten in the way. I like to say more accurately money, debt, and a work shortage has gotten in the way, but that hasn't stopped me from doing projects, just kept me from doing them as often as I would like. That's why I am picking this thing back up, and giving it another go.

A project I recently finished is called Markers: Monuments to the dead. Here is an excerpt from that project. Hopefully many more to come.


Markers - Nathaniel 1-28-1993 - 4-13-2002
Markers - Nathaniel 1-28-1993 - 4-13-2002
The age struck me the most. No more than 9 years old, and here sits a simple placard to his life, however short it may have been, in a park no doubt close to where he lived. Perhaps, even played as a child. Not too far from the tree where it sat was a park where I and my son often played when he was that age, and the memories like moaning ghosts hit you when you realize this specter of death could come for anyone, and at anytime. This marker made me feel thankful that I, and my loved ones, have survived this long.

Markers - Roma Renee Jadick 1965 - 2004
Markers - Roma Renee Jadick 1965 - 2004
One of the official placards marking the passing of a loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment